Search This Blog

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Roots and Ladders

I'm going to call it the Progressive Ladder. Associated with other terms such as "the gateway drug" and "addiction substitute", this instance of addiction can be traced to many addicts, including myself. In many cases the root starts out with nicotine or caffeine (two legal and less mild stimulants). Then it goes to some more socially accepted drugs, such as alcohol or marijuana(or Mr. Smiley). Then the next step is one or the other of the beforehand two. On up the ladder, and more powerful drugs come into play such as cocaine, crack, heroin, meth, exstacy, oxycontin, and vicodin. Some only do one of these, while some do a couple and a few addicts do every and any drug they can get their hands on.

The acute link of this term is that it doesn't always happen over a length or period of time. It can happen in one night. An addict can start off my chugging a Mountain Dew. They then get the energy to go out and drink some alcohol. Next thing you know, they are smoking a joint. And then it's off to the races to get the "good stuff". The irony of it all is that the addict woke up that morning not intending to relapse.

ECCLESIASTES 4:9

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!

I was alone. I didn't think I needed anybody to help me up. But God showed me He is a friend no matter what. Unconditional friendship and love is unparalleled. Thank You God, Thank You Lord Jesus Christ and The Holy Spirit. Thank You for helping me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment